I love puff pastry desserts, for the ease of making and the delicious flaky buttery flavors. These are mini apple pies, baked to golden crispness in a puff pasty pillow. The best part? You can hold it in your hand and walk away with it. No plate and fork required. We love these for a special breakfast, but really they are good any time of day. The apple is complimented with dried cranberries and the tartness plays off the sweet of the apple beautifully. I think walnuts would be great too, maybe next time.
Defrost the puff pastry per instructions. I left mine at room temp for 2 hours. You can also defrost overnight in the fridge. Preheat the oven to 400.
In a bowl add the orange juice and zest, then peel and dice the apple into the bowl of waiting juice, stirring often. The juice helps prevent the apple from turning brown. I like the apple diced small, about 1/2″. No bigger than one inch though, or it will poke through the puff pastry. Once the apples are all diced add the flour, sugar and spices- including salt- to the apples and stir well. Mix in the cranberries.
Roll out the puff pastry to about a 12″ square. You need to be pretty close to square or the pieces won’t fold over right. Divide the puff pastry into 4 equal squares. The fill each square with about 1/4 cup of filling. Brush egg wash on the bottom two sides, and fold the top over to seal. Crimp with a fork to seal. Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry. Place the pastry on a parchment lined sheet tray, brush egg wash over top. Sprinkle with sugar, if you want. I like the sweet crunch it adds.
Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden. Serve warm or room temp. They will keep for 3 days in an airtight container.
- i package frozen puff pastry
- 3 apples, peeled and ½" dice
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- a few grates of a fresh nutmeg of ⅛ teaspoon
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- juice of an orange
- i egg- beaten for egg wash
- defrost the puff pastry per package instructions
- preheat the oven to 400º
- in a medium bowl, combine the orange juice with zest
- dice the apples into the bowl of juice and stir to coat
- add the cranberries, sugar, flour and spices and mix.
- roll the puff pastry out into a 12" square, then cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Put ¼ cup apple mixture into the center, then fold into a triangle.
- Use the egg to seal the edges, then crimp shut with a fork.
- Repeat with the remaining squares, and the second sheet of puff pastry.
- Place filled pasty on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- brush the top with egg wash, then sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm or room temp.